House Cleaning Tips Using the Task-Driven Method

A bedroom I staged in my business. 

Don't be fooled into thinking there is one down-pat way of cleaning your home as far as accomplishing the task is concerned.  Most of us use a variety of methods to get the job done.

I might tell you about the timer method one day, the list method another, but today I'll tell you about a goal method that is focused on achieving tasks.

SETTING GOALS 

My overarching goal is to clean the entire house.  That won't happen today, though, because a) I tire easily b) I'll run out of motivation  c) I have other things to do.

So here's the approach I am taking:

I'm setting small goals, bookended with breaks.

Yes, it is okay to rest, eat, and deviate a little here and there. Watch out for triggers that might get you totally off-task, though.  For instance, don't turn on a long movie during your short breaktime.

Set Goals 

A first goal might include a series of tasks: putting away shoes to their 'homes' and putting away clothes that have been sitting in a laundry basket; removing the master bedroom sheets and putting them into the laundry machine, followed with a short break.

On your break drink water, check email, sit and meditate. Do what it takes to restore your energy.

Next goal:
Your next goal may include removing items from dressers and side tables in the master bedroom; dusting all surfaces; vacuuming the master bedroom floor (I like to let my Roomba run while I dust and clean); putting mats or other bedding outside to refreshen (or to kill dust mites in 0 degree weather). Then take another break.

Next: If you still have time and energy, you may damp mop or damp Swiffer your hard floor bedroom surfaces including under and behind the bed or use a robot mop. Then re-lay mats and reset your dresser items.
Take a break.

Next:  Remake bed (if you need 2 people as I often do, leave the fresh bedding out until help arrives).


Bedroom of my previous house all staged to sell. 


This method of cleaning is task-driven.  There is no time limit set for accomplishing the tasks unless you want to.

Enjoy the refresh and tell yourself you've don a great job! 

1 comment: