Organizing Mail

Don't cause a clutter commotion with piles of mail that come in daily.

After getting my mail I enter the house through the garage, do you?

I have a recycle bin just outside the door.  I sort the mail and not one piece of junk mail enters my house

It may be tempting to save coupons, but I have realized that I never use them.  All they do is clutter the house.  Now I just put them in the recycling bin too.  (Chances are if you decide you want them that you can go back to the garage on your way to buy whatever it is, and retrieve them from the recycling bin, unless it's gone bye bye.)

Put bills in your bill paying book right away.  Never mind a folder, in-tray, etc.  use a journal book for your banking--we all need a hard copy!  Then put the bills either in the envelopes or out of them, into the book until bill paying day.

Now you might say you do paperless banking and wonder what the heck I'm talking about if a person really wants to eliminate clutter.  Well, I can tell you not all paperless banking is wise.  My former cell phone company, for instance, would only let you look at bills online and never print them.  You had to ask them 3 days advance permission to print them and believe me there was no way to cut & paste or do anything.  When we cancelled our contract, they kept deducting payments from us.  It was a nightmare because after awhile we were not allowed to even open our online bills. We are still trying to recoup money from that and have no bill on our end to prove anything.  It makes me angry just thinking about Telus jerking us around.  (Telus-if you read this and clean up our account  by sending us the money you owe us, I'll take your name off this blog!)

Give everyone in the house their mail and insist they deal with it immediately--and that doesn't mean sticking it back into the envelope and sitting it somewhere. 

I get mail from my sponsored child.  I read it immediately and throw out excess envelopes unless I'm going to use their enclosed stationery.  I let others read the letter asap and then file the letter in a file labeled "sponsored child".  It makes a nice, neat collection.

So, in order to tackle your mail you need a few folders for papers you need to keep, a journal for your banking that you will slip bills into so they are there on payday/bank balancing day, and a recycle bin to drop all the rest of the junk into.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment