Home Organization: Create Hot Spots That Work For You

My handy storage unit

Every family has its own set of "essentials". 

In order to feel organized and stay on top of it all, create good hot spots.  This means finding homes for the essentials. 

I use the sorting unit pictured above.  You might, however have a great desk with drawers, a bookshelf, a file cabinet.  You may use a hall closet or kitchen cupboard.  You might use a wall-mounted paper system, or china cabinet drawer. 

The point is to find nifty nooks that work for you.

Now...make sure they are spots you frequent, are labelled, etc.  Today as I cleaned out my closet I found a nifty white linen box and wondered what was in it.  I guess the last time I'd cleaned I'd put my travel toiletries and makeup bags in this box, because there they were!  I however, have little recollection of doing this.  Had I needed them for travel, I doubt I would have looked in that box.  The point is, just because something fits well somewhere may not make it the ideal spot.

Pictured is my sorting unit for household administration.  This works well for me.  It is near my desk.  Here are a few of my essentials it holds.  There are enough shelf and drawers for it all:

 1.   catalogues
 2.   a file of home decorating ideas, wish list, etc.
 3.   address books
 4.   this year's files of bills paid
 5.   telephone books
 6.   a binder of items pertinent to this home, i.e. legal papers, etc.
 7.   business reference binders
 8.   inspirational or reference books
 9.   upcoming income tax papers
10.  CDs
11.  electronics
12.  an office supply drawer

No comments:

Post a Comment