Staying on Task While Organizing or Decorating


Whether it's cleaning up a room that hasn't been tackled for awhile, getting your entire home ready for sale, or changing decor, it is wise to start with a strategy.

The strategy will be 3-fold:

1.  Envision what you hope the results will be.
2.  List mentally or on paper what is needed to get there.
3.  Plan the timing.

Envision:  


I want to fluff up my bedroom by painting a feature wall and purchasing new lamps.  I have matched paint swatches with my bedding and am picturing the room in the new colour all blending in nicely with my bedspread.  I also picture myself feeling happy in a refreshened room, afterall part of the motivation is to create a more pleasant environment to be enjoyed.

What is Needed:  

I will need a) paint; b) tools; c) a block of time; d) to move the bed.  

The Timing:  

I look at my schedule and decide it's best to do this project while my husband is out of town so he won't be annoyed by me taking over the bedroom.  I decide to do the work after dropping my kids off at school in the morning, until lunch, resuming again until 3:00.  While I won't paint after the sun has gone down, I can use time in the evening for taping off or washing walls.

Plans fail, become abandoned, and people become frustrated when they jump in too quickly without a realistic plan that includes several small goals and set timeframes.

Don't expect to accomplish your plan in one day, unless it is a very basic project.  Life will continue to happen, which is where most of us get setback or frustrated.  For instance, you might just get your room taped off for painting and as you're about to open the can of paint you realize it's time to pick up the kids. Or, you get the kitchen tidied up just in time to make supper. 

Make allowances for the regular things of life by slotting them into your schedule. 




No comments:

Post a Comment